Earlier this year the City Corporation’s Members Diversity Working Party proposed the establishment of a voluntary Members’ Diversity Charter for Common Councillors in the City to sign. As a member of this group I have supported the creation of this Charter. I hope it will drive change by publicly demonstrating that Councillors are committed to the diversity and inclusion. So I’m proud to be a signatory to the City’s Diversity Charter!
The City flourishes today by attracting international talent and innovating to succeed. I believe that attracting a wider pool of talent to engage with the City of London Corporation will build a City fit for the future.
To support this, I will:
- Encourage businesses, when engaging in voter registration, to select voters which reflect their diverse workforce;
- Whilst being conscious of capabilities, consider the gender (sex) and ethnic mix of committees when voting on appointments to committees;
- Consider how images posted on social media when on City Corporation business might be perceived;
- Consider the diversity of candidates when proposing themfor the Freedom of the City and how they reflect the City’s communities;
- Undertake or refresh unconscious bias training;
- Seek to introduce new people, from diverse backgrounds, to the City, for example, through invitations to functions;
- Look out for talented people, from diverse backgrounds, who could make a contribution to the work of the City Corporation and encourage them to consider standing for election.